Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Quitting my jobs

I'm quitting my jobs. Both of them. Have to, you see; I'm moving three hours down the road to go back to school (college has been the greatest eight years of my life) and that's a bit farther than I want to commute.

I may have worked one of them for the last time tonight. I'm scheduled to work one more night, but umpiring is dependent on the weather, so you never know. This is my fourth season of umpiring, and I've known for a long time that it's a difficult, thankless job. I've kept doing it anyway, because there are nights when I enjoy it, and the money is good even when I don't. But now that I'm leaving, I've been thinking about whether I want to do it again after I move.

They say that when you look back on things, you only remember the good. As I look back on four years of umpiring, I don't remember the good. Mainly what stands out is the bad. The good and the so-so are mostly a blur; the really memorable occasions are all bad.

Maybe that should tell me something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anon e Mouse Jr. said...

Indeed. I personally enjoy working inside rather than outside, especially when it's a place like Blockbuster.

Speaking of which, your Inner Columnistness, I have a movie you may be interested in. For more details, you know how to contact me.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home