Friday, January 19, 2007

Donating blood

Today I donated blood.

This is something that I've often thought I should do, but never actually done. Never had the guts. As I have mentioned before, I don't like needles. Not at all. My mother used to say she never worried about me doing drugs because she knew how much I hated needles.

But the other day I saw flyers advertising a blood drive on campus, and today, without much thought about it, I went. It just seemed like the thing to do.

And afterwards I was thinking about it and the whole thing felt strangely impersonal. I watched the blood flowing out of my arm and into the bag and I felt very detached from it. I mean, I'm never going to meet the people who will receive my blood. I'm not going to see the results.

But they sure are, and that's reason enough to do it. There doesn't have to be some kind of catharsis for the donor. That's not what it's about. You don't get the life-altering experience - the people who need the blood do.

Which is what it's all about, really. Changing lives. Saving lives.

Donate today.

"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you." - Deuteronomy 16:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home