Sunday, May 25, 2008

God's will

I want God's will and mine to converge. That's hard to say with a fully genuine heart, because what we usually really want, deep down, is for God's will to converge with ours - not the other way around. We want what we want and we hope God will give it to us.

I guess recognizing that is about as much as we can do. I don't know how to get to a state where I really completely want God's will, not mine, for my life. Human beings aren't good at submission. We're a stubborn, stiff-necked people, all of us. Strong-willed.

I guess a good start might be to realize that my life isn't really mine. It's like the rest of the world, like the rest of the things I have - it's on loan from God. He gave it to me to do something with. What exactly that is, I don't know. Maybe I ought to get on with finding out. I don't know how to do that either, but I pray He'll help me in that. I'm pretty sure He will.

So much of this comes back to the what God asked Job. "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?" I wasn't there. I don't know what it's all about. Why are we here? Couldn't say.

But Job answers God with an affirmation of faith in God, His wisdom, and His purpose. "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." If God has a plan for my life - and I believe that He does - then it will be fulfilled. My job, in the constant tension that exists between the sovereignty of God and the free will of man, is not to screw it up.

A while back I prayed this prayer: "Be with me, Lord, and let me also be with you." A voice answered and said, "That's what I've been waiting to hear." It's an imperfect way of submitting to the will of God - but you can get there from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home