Friday, May 09, 2008

Graduation

Tomorrow, I graduate from college.

It doesn't seem real to me. I mean, college has been the greatest ten years of my life. How can something that's taken so long be over?

Even when you count down the days, when you check off the papers to be written and the finals to be taken, when you see it coming from a long way off...when all of a sudden you've done everything on the list and all that's left is to walk across the stage...what do you do?

Ten years. That's a long time. A decade of missteps, starts and stops, narrow escapes and near-misses, and finally...The Day.

I don't know what tomorrow is going to be like. I don't know what the future holds. This is something I've wanted for a long time, and now it's here, and now, at the moment of attainment, I almost feel a sense of loss. I guess that's true of any long journey. There's a destination in mind when you set out, and when you get there, well, it's what you've been working for, isn't it?

Or was the journey the thing all along?

I guess I have to take comfort in the fact that, even though this journey will end tomorrow, another one will begin when I step off that stage. I don't know what it is, or where it will take me. The goals I have now are only dimly perceived, and I know that they will change. If there's anything I've learned from these last ten years, it's that you don't end up where you expect. Your life never follows the script you wrote for it. It always changes.

And that's okay. I will step out into the world unafraid. One journey ends, another begins: Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous SunniBrook said...

Beautifully written, Theodore. I think I'll share it with my niece who is graduating from high school next weekend.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home