Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

There is a tradition among writers that, at the end of the year, they review the year just past. Not being given to iconoclasm for its own sake, here therefore is my own contribution to the genre.
In 2009, I...
...moved. To Iowa. Where it snows. A lot.
...fell in love. With one of those "corn-fed Midwestern girls" I joked about finding when I moved here. Guess the joke's on me. I'm okay with that.
...traveled. Visited nineteen states in all this year, two of them new to me, and although I lost track of exactly how many new counties I visited, I'm pretty sure achieved my goal of 100 new counties a year, running my total to 32 states and 867 counties. I also achieved the even more important goal of seeing as much of my family as I could manage. We're pretty scattered, but we do okay.
...met my grandmother. Which is an odd thing to do for the first time at 29 years old, but there you have it.
...changed jobs. Not companies, but I came in from the field to become a train dispatcher. It wasn't easy. Two friends didn't make it through class and lost their jobs. But I made it through, qualified, and now I'm doing something that's a nightly challenge, something I really enjoy, something that matters in some small way.
...watched my team win a Super Bowl. It was a thriller - Pittsburgh 27, Arizona 23.
...spent a lot of time playing with munchkins. And found out I am to be a godfather. It was an offer I couldn't refuse.
...bought another Miata. Yes, I know. But it was either that or succumb to the siren song of an old Jaguar.
...lost three uncles. It was a tough year in our family.
2009 was a mixed year. It had some very definite highs and some very definite lows. I guess every year is like that, but 2009 seems to have had more lows than usual. Still - we keep on going. 2010 awaits. The adventure continues.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anon_e_mouse said...

You did... not sure exactly how many, but you had 749 in mid-February, so that's 118 just since moving to Iowa, plus those you picked up on the drive north.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home